Thursday, November 04, 2004

living with the griswolds

I bought a Griswold #8 cast iron pan on Ebay a week or so ago, and it arrived in the mail two days ago. I was actually surprised at how light it was. Nevertheless, in pretty good shape, very minimum rust, which I scrubbed off before seasoning the pan.

I used it to make my Asian-style Spicy Pulled Pork Sandwiches today. I must say that cast iron holds heat very well, cooks evenly, and when it is well seasoned, it really is non-stick! With shipping this antique cast iron pan cost me around $20, about the same as I would pay for a new 11" Lodge cast iron pan at Target. Not to mention it's antique, is potentially collectible, has its own cooking history and will last me probably my entire lifetime. No disrespect to Lodge...just checked out their web site: they have some great products!

No comments: