Kale and Bread Soup
1/4 cup Garlic Confit (recipe follows)
2 tbsp oil from Garlic Confit (recipe follows)
2 tbsp caramelized onions*
1/8 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1 bunch kale, rinsed well and julienned
1 cup stale bread, cut into 1/2" cubes
3 cups chicken stock
Black pepper and salt to taste.
- In a large pot, add oil, red pepper flakes, onions, over medium heat for 20 seconds.
- Mash garlic confit, and add, cooking 10 seconds.
- Add kale, and toss to coat, cooking for 2 minutes. Season with black pepper.
- Add bread, and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add chicken stock, turn heat to high, and bring to a boil for 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat
- Serve immediately.
1 entire head elephant garlic (or 2 large heads garlic), peeled
50-50 olive oil and canola oil to cover
- Put peeled heads in small ovenproof saucepan. Add oils to cover garlic cloves completely
- Roast at 300 degrees for 1.5 hours.
- Let cool, cover and refrigerate. K
- To use, remove as needed with a clean fork. Use as a spread or mash.