Beer Brats and Onions
1 whole onion, peeled and sliced thin
1/2 bottle of good lager (like Heineken or other lager)
1/2 cup apple juice (preferably unfiltered, organic)
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp kosher salt
- In a skillet over high heat, add apple juice, onion, sugar, and salt, stir to combine.
- Nestle brats in liquid, which should come up about 1/2 way.
- Bring to a boil, cover, and cook for 15 minutes.
- Turn brats, uncover, and cook until remaining liquid has evaporated, and brats & onions start to brown, about 15 more minutes.
- Check brats for doneness (cut through, should be just a tiny bit pink in center, if at all).
Things to consider for the future: making your own brats (recipe from Jack Schmidling's web site), or at the very least, incorporating the brat spices/flavors in the poaching liquid.
60% (9.6 oz) Pork, 40% (6.4 oz) Veal.1 lb
1 tsp pickling salt
1/2 tsp onion salt
1/2 tsp Ground White Pepper
1/2 tsp dried Marjoram
1/2 tsp dried parsley
1/4 tsp ground Nutmeg
1/4 tsp Celery Seed
1/8 tsp dried Ginger
1/8 tsp ground Mace
1/8 tsp ground Cardamom
2 oz Red Wine
- Grind meat through 3/16" plate.
- Mix non-meat ingredients in bowl and add to ground meat and mix thoroughly.
- Chill in freezer for 30 min.
- Mix again and grind through 1/4" plate.
- Stuff into sheep or hog casings and air dry for 30 min or until dry to the touch.
- Refrigerate or freeze for use.