I like it pure and traditional: just egg, potato and onion. Sure, a little chorizo and truffle oil can be nice too, but totally not necessary; the "plain vanilla" version is immensely satisfying.
I made this for B's folks over Thanksgiving again; they loved it and asked for the recipe.
Spanish Tortilla (Tortilla Espanola)
1 recipe Aioli (recipe follows)
6 large eggs
3 medium yellow potatoes (like Yukon Gold or other yellow), peeled
1/2 medium onion, thinly sliced
1 cup olive oil
- Make Aioli and set aside (recipe follows).
- Cut potatoes lengthwise into quarters, then thinly slice across into 1/8" thick "pie wedge" shapes (a handheld slicer or food processor works really well for this).
- Spread potatoes out on cookie sheet, and dry off slices with paper towels. Salt generously.
- In a large pan heat olive oil over high heat. Add sliced potatoes, and turn down heat immediately to medium. Cook for 7 minutes, stirring occasionally. Don't let the potatoes brown!
- NOW ADD SLICED ONION.
- Cook for about 15 minutes, until potatoes are soft. Again, no browning!
- Drain potatoes in collander, reserving leftover oil. Taste potatoes, season with more salt as necessary. Let rest for 5 minutes.
- Now, in medium mixing bowl, crack eggs, and whisk until just after yolks are broken (eggs will have yellow and clear streaks in it still).
- SEASON EGGS WITH SALT.
- Mix potatoes back into eggs, and stir gently to combine.
- Let potato/egg mixture rest for 10 minutes
- Heat a 8" non-stick skillet with 2 tbsp of leftover oil over medium heat.
- Add potato/egg mixture (it will be near the top of the pan).
- Using spatula, cook for 5 minutes, moving runny eggs under cooked eggs, scraping sides of skillet often.
- Put a plate with no lip to cover the skillet. In one motion, flip tortilla onto plate.
- Add 1 tbsp oil back to skillet. Carefully slide the tortilla from the plate back to the skillet.
- Cook over medium heat for 3 minutes, shaking the skillet every 10 seconds or so.
- Flip the tortilla over again (using the plate method described before), and WITHOUT OIL back into the skillet for 1 minute.
- Flip the tortilla one last time, and cook for 1 minute. (Totals: 5 minutes, flip, 3 minutes, flip, 1 minute, flip, 1 minute, remove from skillet)
- Once removed from skillet, let rest uncovered 5 minutes.
- Slice tortilla into quarters. Serve warm or room temperature, slathered with Aioli.
- Refrigerate leftovers; will keep for about 3 days.
Yields about 1/2 cup
1/2 cup mayonnaise (do NOT substitute Miracle Whip!)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
Salt + pepper
Whisk all ingredients to combine. Season with salt and pepper. Let rest for at least 30 minutes. Taste again and adjust seasonings. Use as needed, or refrigerate up to 5 days.