So here's my roast chicken (based on ATK):
1 young chicken
1 cup butter, softened
3 tbsp chopped fresh rosemary
3 tbsp chopped fresh garlic
Salt and pepper
1 lemon, sliced in 1/2
1 onion, sliced in half
2 carrots, chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
2 Fennel fronds, chopped (optional)
1.5 cups chicken stock
Roasting pan with V-Rack
- Preheat oven to 450F
- Combine butter with rosemary, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Remove giblets & set aside; rinse and dry chicken. Salt inside. Set in roasting pan.
- In cavity, stuff 1/2 of onion, lemon, rosemary sprig.
- Put butter under skin, then smear all over outside.
- Salt and pepper outside.
- Add remaining chopped veg (onions, carrots, celery, chicken stock, fennel) and giblets to pan.
- Roast at 450F for 15 minutes, middle rack.
- Turn down temp to 375F for 45 minutes, or until breast hits 160F. Check thigh too; you can always cut the thighs off and return them to the oven.