one 20lb turkey
2 carrots, peeled and rough chopped
2 onions, peeled and rough chopped
2 celery stalks, rough chopped
1/2 stick softened butter (or leftover butter from last year)
10 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbsp rosemary, minced
2 tbsp chopped parsley
1 extra rosemary branch
1 lemon, split in 1/2
- Mix softened butter, garlic, parsley, 2 tbs rosemary, and a pinch of kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 500F
- Get roasting pan with rack; spray rack with canola cooking spray (or wipe with canola or vegetable oil)
- Remove giblets (or giblet pack) from turkey...it's there! If it's not in the body, check the neck cavity!
- Rinse turkey well, place on roasting rack breast side UP, pat inside dry with paper towels.
- Add vegetables and giblets to roasting pan
- Work skin loose with fingers
- Put 1/2 butter/garlic mixture under skin
- Stuff turkey with lemon, rosemary branch
- Truss legs and tuck under
- Pat skin VERY DRY
- Rub remaining butter/garlic mixture over skin.
- Season skin very liberally with salt
- Roast at 500F for 30 minutes
- Reduce heat to 350F
- Cook for remaining time, until thigh temp hits 161F (it's about 16-17min/lb).
- Remove and let rest at least 30 minutes before carving.
NOTE: in at 445pm; initial timer time 4 hrs.
Cook time: about 3 hours to get to 165F in thigh. Removed and let rest for 30 minutes.
Golden brown skin
Very well-seasoned; breast meat was infused, likely from high salt on skin
Breast was still moist
Thigh meat was nice, tiny bit of blood around thigh sockets, but otherwise fine.