So I had lots of crusts & bits of nice white bread left over from the Cheddargy dome, so I made my first bread pudding tonight, using the ATK recipe. For next time:
- Add raisins (Beckey likes raisins!)
- Try the chocolate version the right way: melt chips in the milk + cream, and let it cool. Then whisk into eggs, etc.
1 egg yolk
3/4 cup sugar
1 cup heavy cream
3.5 cups milk
3 tbsp brandy (or use bourbon)
1 tbsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp fresh grated nutmeg
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 tsp cinammon
2 tbsp melted butter
2 tbsp sugar
8oz + 4oz (12oz/340g total) nice bread pieces & crusts, cut/torn into 1.5" pieces
- Preheat oven to 325F.
- Whisk eggs and sugar. Whisk in all ingredients except cinammon, butter, remaining sugar and bread.
- In 9x13 pan, place 8oz of bread. Pour egg mixture over. Let sit for 10 minutes.
- In separate bowl, add remaining 4oz of bread + sugar. Pour melted butter over and add cinnamon. Mix until combined.
- Sprinkle butter/bread mixture over top of pan.
- Bake 40-50 minutes, until well set but slightly jiggly; check at 40 min. It should be just a bit jiggly.
- Serve warm with cream or whipped cream.