One 6lb. young chicken
5 cloves garlic, minced
3 tbsp butter, room temp, softened
1 large onion
4 cloves garlic, peeled but left whole
2 carrots, peeled and rough chopped
2 celery stalks, rough chopped
2 cups water (or some combination of water, chicken stock, and/or decent white wine, like Charles Shaw Sav Blanc)
1 lemon, cut in half
1/2 onion, cut in half
Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 425F
- Combine garlic and butter, set aside.
- Remove giblets, and place in roasting pan, with onion, garlic cloves, carrots, celery and water.
- Dry off skin of bird with paper tower
- Separate skin from meat; put garlic butter under skin, work it under the breast and onto leg
- Season skin liberally with salt and pepper; NO BUTTER ON SKIN, only salt
- Stuff cavity with half-onion and half-lemon
- Roast for 60 minutes
- Reduce heat to 375F
- Roast for about 35-40 more minutes, or until thigh temp reaches 160F.
Leftover pan juices
Leftover pan fat
Leftover roasted garlic cloves
1/3 cup flour
1 cup water
1 cup milk
2 tbsp brandy
Salt & pepper
- Remove giblets and vegetables, leave garlic cloves in pan
- Pick up chicken with wooden spoon, let juices train into roasting pan.
- Separate juices and fat, if possible.
- Mash roasted garlic cloves in pan with oil until they're a paste
- Heat roasting pan over medium-high heat
- Add flour to pan fat, stir fast, whisk for 30-60 seconds
- Add brandy, whisk for 15 seconds
- Add water and milk, whisk, bring to boil. Add more water or milk to adjust consistency.
- Season with salt & pepper to taste.
- Strain thru fine mesh strainer and serve.