Whole Wheat Bread #1
This is purely ATK recipe.
1 cup milk
1/3 cup water
2-1/4 tsp. instant yeast
3 tbsp honey
4 tbsp. butter, melted and cooled
2 cups bread flour
1.5 cups whole wheat flour
1/4 cup wheat germ
2 tsp salt
- Combine milk and water in measuring cup. Heat in microwave for 1 minute.
- Stir honey into milk mixture.
- Add yeast and stir to dissolve. Let rest for 3-5 minutes.
- In mixer bowl, combine flours & wheat germ and stir to combine.
- Add milk mixture to flour
- Mix with dough hook for 2 minutes
- Cover with plastic and let rest for 20 minutes.
- NOW ADD SALT.
- Knead in mixer with dough hook on setting "1" for 9 minutes
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Shape into a rectangle, then roll into a log
- Pinch seam and put seam side down in buttered/floured baking pan
- Inflate plastic bag and let rise in bag for 1.5 hours
- (this is normally where you'd punch down, roll into log, and let rise for 1-1.5 more hours)
- Slash loaf
- Bake on lower rack for 45 minutes
- Let cool 5 minutes in pan
Baked at 375 for 45 minutes
- Good rise, decent oven spring
- Texture was slightly damp, and slightly mealy, but even and soft
- Crust had good browning on top and sides, albeit possibly slightly thick
- Good saltiness, but not sweet enough, need to increase hone
- Good softness initially; dried up pretty good by the next day; definitely not super soft & fluffy like sandwich bread.
For next time
- Could've baked longer @ 375, maybe 50 minutes
- Try higher temp baking
- Try 1/4 cup honey next time, maybe 1/3 cup, and reduce water slightly.
- Try overnight retard
- Try less yeast, esp. if overnight retard (2 tsp instead of 2.25 tsp)