I baked and brought my first sourdough loaf to June Lake for Zach's birthday trip. It was pretty good, here's the test batch recipe.
My First Sourdough Loaf
1 lb. bread flour
1/2 cup starter
1 tbsp. sugar
3/4-1 cup water
1 tsp salt
- Combine all but salt in mixer bowl with dough hook. Knead for 2 minutes on low.
- Add salt, and mix for 3 minutes on low.
- Turn in oiled bowl, wrap in plastic wrap and leave in warm place to rise overnight (or 4 hours).
- Bake at 375 for 40 minutes.
- nice sourdough tang
- springy, soft loaf
- small but even, springy/chewy crumb
- Baked through (not damp)
- Crust didn't brown
- Heavy/dense loaf (could be more springy)
To obtain large crumb:
- Lower amount of yeast
- Longer fermentation/rise time
OK, so this time I will try:
- 100% flour (16oz aka 1 lb. by weight)
- 30% of flour weight starter (5oz by weight)
- 1.8% of flour weight salt (0.28oz salt)
- Enough water (to keep dough soft)
- 1 tbsp. sugar