Sunday, February 25, 2007

sourdough returns

I've been feeding my sourdough starter since sometime late December/early January. I had leftover buttermilk which I started to make grandma's bread with, then ended up with starter.

I baked and brought my first sourdough loaf to June Lake for Zach's birthday trip. It was pretty good, here's the test batch recipe.

My First Sourdough Loaf

1 lb. bread flour
1/2 cup starter
1 tbsp. sugar
3/4-1 cup water
1 tsp salt


  1. Combine all but salt in mixer bowl with dough hook. Knead for 2 minutes on low.
  2. Add salt, and mix for 3 minutes on low.
  3. Turn in oiled bowl, wrap in plastic wrap and leave in warm place to rise overnight (or 4 hours).
  4. Bake at 375 for 40 minutes.

Pros:

  • nice sourdough tang
  • springy, soft loaf
  • small but even, springy/chewy crumb
  • Baked through (not damp)

Cons:

  • Crust didn't brown
  • Heavy/dense loaf (could be more springy)
So I was reading on this nice sourdough-related web site (http://www.schoolofbaking.com/dough_tips.htm) to try some different proportions for different loaves. Here are some tips:

To obtain large crumb:

  • Lower amount of yeast
  • Longer fermentation/rise time

OK, so this time I will try:

  1. 100% flour (16oz aka 1 lb. by weight)
  2. 30% of flour weight starter (5oz by weight)
  3. 1.8% of flour weight salt (0.28oz salt)
  4. Enough water (to keep dough soft)
  5. 1 tbsp. sugar

No comments: