Friday, October 29, 2004

et tu, brute?

caesar salad is probably my favorite salad. Nice and garlicky with a bit of spicy snap, with garlicky croutons, just thinking about it makes my mouth water. Over the years I've experimented with a few Caesar dressing recipes. I finally stumbled upon one that I really liked. It was based on a recipe from Wolfgang Puck; I tweaked it a little to make it more appealing to me.

I also really like the CPK Caesar Salad, so here's the recipe for their dressing, also from the CPK cookbook.

CPK Caesar Dressing
1-1/2 tsp minced fresh garlic
1-1/2 tsp minced shallots
1 tsp anchovy paste
1/2 tsp chopped fresh oregano leaves
1 tsp fresh squeezed lemon juice
1 tbsp red wine vinegar
1 tsp nonpareil capers, drained (small round capers pickled in vinegar)
1/2 c. extra virgin olive oil

Blend all ingredients except olive oil in food processor or blender until smooth. Add olive oil slowly while blending to form an emulsion.

Speaking of preparing a Caesar salad, the hearts of romaine that come in a bag from the grocery store I find to be the most convenient, because they last a long time, and they take no time to rinse & cut up. Somehow that always tasted fresher than the pre-cut romaine that comes in the bag.

No comments: